I am looking for things to do that would move our celebration away from gifts. Here are the options so far, not necessarily in order of preference.
1. Go see a movie. (It would have to be something everyone can enjoy which may be difficult since we have a five-year old in the bunch.)
2. Go on a hike. Then dinner and a movie night in.
3. Go on a drive down the coast. This sounds great but we all get bored on a drive to nowhere. Maybe if we could decide on a final resting spot.
4. Go camping. Our last camping trip didn’t include everyone staying overnight. So, we could do it again if weather is permitting.
5. Go ice skating. In San Francisco there are three locations to go skating on Christmas Day: The Holiday Ice Rink at Embarcadero Center, Safeway Holiday Ice Skating Rink in Union Square or the Yerba Buena Ice Skating Center.
6. Go to the Contemporary Jewish Museum. It’s free.
7. Go to the zoo. The San Francisco Zoo is open 365 days of the year. If we do this then we will want to get there for some of the animal feedings: penguins (10:30am and 3:30pm), grizzly bears (11:30am), pelicans (3pm), and giraffes (4:30pm).
8. Go sightseeing. Perhaps we can check out some of the ornate Christmas displays in and around the city. The Snow Village at the San Francisco Hyatt Regency is rather popular and I have never seen it.
9. Have dinner out. There are lots of restaurants open on Christmas Day.
I don’t have a #10. This is the first time that we will do anything other than volunteer or cook all day on Christmas so I am struggling for something to do. These are all great ideas for activities but, it just doesn’t feel like it would be exciting enough. I feel like I am going to be missing something. Maybe it is just that I am trying too much into the day.
Help me out. What do you do on Christmas Day other than open presents, cook, and eat?